FABRICATION OF UNIVERSAL TAPPING MACHINE MECHANICAL PROJECT
The aim of our project is to design and fabricate a pneumatically operated tapping machine is called universal tapping machine. This device is operated by compressed air. It consists of the following main parts. 1. Barrel 2. Shaft 3. bearing 4. couplings, etc A high pressure compressed air is forced on a fan and the fan is made to rotate. This rotation is transmitted to the machining head by a shaft and the required operation (tapping) is carried out. So this pneumatically operated cylindrical tapping machine device is used for various operations with a less amount of investment.
The project work subject is one, in which actually we are leaning the theoretical concepts in practical way. Also the practical Experience is one of the aims of this subject. For a developing industry these operating performed and the parts or components produced should have its minimum possible production cost, then only the industry runs profitably. There are a number of units having used in industries for various purposes.
DESIGN OF EQUIPMENT AND DRAWING
PNEUMATIC COMPONENTS AND ITS SPECIFICATION
The universal tapping machine consists of the following components to full fill the requirements of complete operation of the machine.
1. Double acting pneumatic cylinder
2. Solenoid vale
3. Flow control valve
The cylindrical tapping machine device is an air operated device used for many small operations. It is a portable one. Compressed air is the source of Energy for this device. The compressed air is allowed through the nozzle in such a way to rotate to fan. The rotation obtained is utilized for machining. The nozzles are welded to the barrel at an angle to facilitate free rotation. The rpm and Torque of the shaft depends upon the pressure of the air admitted so by varying the pressure the rpm and torque can be varied.
The parts are interred connected by thick tubes. Clamps are used at the connecting parts to prevent leakage. In threaded parts thread seals are used to prevent leakage. Here the compressed air from the compressor firstly enters the control unit. In the control unit the pressure of the air is controlled and sent to the barrel to rotate the fan in any one direction
The pneumatically operated multi purpose device has many advantages. They are as follows:
• Low cost, so it can be used in small scale industries
• Higher rate and quicker operations.
• A number of operations like (drilling) , screw driving, reaming etc., can be done.
• The nuts and bolts can be tightened to a particular pressure by operating the gate valve placed in the control unit and the pressure gauge.
• Both loosening and tightening is possible .since there is air flow in both directions.
• The weight of the unit is less and can be easily handled.
• Efficient operation. Since if does not require any electricity for running .
• while working , the compressed air produces noise therefore a silencer may be used.
• High torque can not obtained.
• Load carrying capacity of this unit is not very high.
This cylindrical tapping machine has a numerous applications in various fields. In Industries, this is used in assembly section. The required pressure is set and the operation is carried out. In automobile shops various operations are required frequently. Drilling, boring, reaming, grinding etc. It is also used as a screw for tightening and loosening nuts and bolts. It is used in
1. In automobile workshops
2. In small Scale industries
3. In such places where frequent changes in operations are required
4. In welding shops for grinding
5. For performance operations in huge parts which can not be done in ordinary machines, since it is portable.
The project carried out by us made an impressing task in the field of small scale industries. It is very useful for workers to tapping the drilling holes.
This project will reduce the cost involved in the concern. Project has been designed to perform the entire requirement task at the shortest time available.